Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Battling Aphids organically

File:Snodgrass Aphis pomi.jpg




I recently noticed some Aphids on my Japanese Eggplant. I quickly removed them from the plant's leaves only to find more Aphids on the plant the next day. Upon further discovery, both my husband and I notice additional Aphid infestation on the large pear tree in our front yard. My mother-in-law confirmed the aphid infestation by informing us that the bunches of dried, brown, curled, leaves were a result of the nasty little green bugs.



She instructed us to hose down the pear tree and then spray it with a solution of two drops dish washing liquid, one teaspoon baking soda, one teaspoon cooking oil, and water. I haven't made up the solution yet but I did make up a simpler solution of 1/3 parts white, distilled vinegar and water in a spray bottle. I sprayed my eggplant and tomato plants with this solution and it appeared to kill the Aphids instantly. I've also consulted with a companion planting book which recommended planting Anise and Basil near tomatoes. This makes sense since the Aphids are only attacking the planting pot without the Basil. There is no infestation in the pot with the basil, tomatoes, and chili peppers.



Anyone who has every dealt with Aphids knows that they can wreck havoc on a vegetable garden by feeding off live plants. Ladybugs are also an effective way to rid your garden or green house of pests.  

No comments:

Post a Comment